Whakakaupapatia e whakaahuatia

Events and Filming


The Tūpuna Maunga are owned by the thirteen iwi/hapū of Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau. Mana Whenua welcome everyone onto the Maunga, however holding an event on any of them is a privilege, not a right.

If you would like to hold an event on one of the Maunga, you will need an event permit.

The Tūpuna Maunga Authority is the decision-maker for all event applications.

When you ask for an event permit, we look at the potential impact of your event on the Maunga. We take into regard:

  • the spiritual, ancestral, cultural, customary, and historical significance of the Maunga to Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau
  • that the Maunga are held by Mana Whenua for the common benefit of Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau and the people of Auckland. 

Prohibited activities

The following activities are prohibited on the Tūpuna Maunga. An event permit application which includes any of them will not be approved:

  • Smoking, drinking alcohol
  • Promoting smoking or alcohol
  • Ash scattering
  • Open fires
  • Off-road biking (including on walking tracks)
  • Driving off-road on the Maunga
  • Off-road running races
  • Any activity which degrades the physical, cultural, spiritual, historic, or geological value of the Maunga.
Activities that require an event permit


We define an event as any organised gathering or activity on the Maunga, that has:

  • event-related infrastructure (e.g. barbecue, marquee, table), and/or
  • more than 50 people participating and/or
  • private events
  • cultural events or activities

If you want to hold an event you must apply for a permit.

If you are unsure whether you require a permit, you can enquire by emailing [email protected].


All weddings on a Tūpuna Maunga require a permit.

Weddings may only be held at specified locations.

  • Maungauika / North Head:

    • Barracks building site (located near the tihi)
    • Lover's Cove
    • Tennis court
  • Maungawhau / Mount Eden:

    • Tahaki Reserve
    • Reservoir

  • Maungakiekie /One Tree Hill:

    • Stardome lawns

View more about these locations in the Tūpuna Maunga Authority Wedding Locations Guide, available to download here.

Māngere Memorial Hall

Bookings for Māngere Memorial Hall are managed by Auckland Council on our behalf and do not require an event permit.

View Māngere Memorial Hall booking information on the Auckland Council website.

Applications to film at the Māngere Memorial Hall are taken by Auckland Unlimited on our behalf - see Filming below.

Permitting time and fees

Time to process an event permit application

Permitting timeframes are determined primarily - though not exclusively - by the number of people you anticipate at your event and the impact they may have on the Maunga.

For permitting purposes, when we process applications we categorise events as minor, medium or major.

Permitting can take 1-2 weeks for a minor event, 3-4 weeks for a medium event, and more than four weeks for a major event.

In every instance it's in your interests to submit your application as early as possible.


Fees are determined according to your event's impact on the Maunga. This in turn is determined by things like whether your event is minor, medium or major, and where you want to hold it.

We categorise locations as either 'A' or 'B.' 'A' locations are in higher demand and carry a higher fee than 'B' locations.

'A' locations

  • Tihi (summits) of all the Tūpuna Maunga
  • Maungawhau / Mount Eden - Tahaki Reserve
  • Maungakiekie / One Tree Hill - the area between the Stardome Observatory and Manukau Road
  • Playing fields on Tūpuna Maunga 

'B' locations

  • All other locations on the Tūpuna Maunga

All fees generated by event permitting are invested in ongoing protection and enhancement of the Tūpuna Maunga.

Indicative fees for a minor event

Fees are charged by the half day, which we define as up to six hours. The fees indications below are exclusive of GST.


Location type



Application fee



Location fee per half day







Location type



Application fee



Location fee per half day




Medium and major events

We determine fees for medium and major events on a case by case basis, dependent on their complexity.

Regulatory approval fees

Our fees do not include regulatory approvals such as resource consent or a Heritage New Zealand Authority. Such approvals may incur separate fees set by the relevant agency.

Fee waiver

Your event may qualify for a full or partial waiver if:

  • you are a ‘community’ applicant and can demonstrate a positive contribution to the relationship of Mana Whenua with the Tūpuna Maunga
  • the event is led or sponsored by the iwi/hapū of Ngā Mana Whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau (where not an Authorized Cultural Activity), the Maunga Authority or Auckland Council (Governing Body and Local Boards)
  • the applicant (filming/commercial still photography) is a genuine news or current affairs institution
  • it is a council-run or local board-funded event.

We consider whether to grant a fee waiver - partial or full - as we process each event permit application.


Apply for an event permit

Supporting documents

If we approve your application for an event permit, you will then have to supply your health and safety plan, a waste management plan, and a site map. We strongly recommend that you give some thought to these documents before you apply.

View examples of these documents:

An events facilitator will contact you within two working days to confirm your application has been received.

Things that may lead us to decline your application

  • Your application includes an activity which is prohibited on the Maunga (see prohibited activities listed above)
  • You haven't submitted your application early enough (see permitting time and fees section  above)
  • Your application has insufficient information.

If you have any issues or questions, please email [email protected].


Apply Online Here



If you would like to film or take photos on the Maunga for commercial purposes, you will need a permit. Please direct your enquiry to Tātaki Auckland Unlimited, who take commercial filming and photography permit applications on our behalf.

View 'Apply for a film permit' on the Screen Auckland website.


If you would like to use a drone on the Maunga for any purpose you are required to get approval from the Authority.

Please see our policy page for further information.